Here in this article, we will be talking about the History of Nigerian Defence Academy | NDA History and we promise you to give you all the necessary information you may need to know Nigerian Defence Academy (NDA), after reading this post you should be able to tell others about NDA because you know their full history, you know how it was established, where it was established.
About Nigerian Defence Academy (NDA) | Things You Need To Know About NDA
Like we promised to give you all the necessary information you may need to know About NDA, The Nigeria Defence Academy (NDA) is the Joint Services academy of the Nigerian Armed Forces, where cadets of the three services, the Army, the Navy and the Air Force train together before they go on to pre-commissioning training in their respective service academies. The Nigerian Defence Academy (NDA) Kaduna, is one of the first of two Military Universities in Nigeria
History of Nigerian Defence Academy | NDA History
According to Wikipedia, The Nigeria Defence Academy (NDA) was established in February 1964 as a reformation of the British run Royal Military Forces Training College (RMFTC), which had been renamed the Nigerian Military Training College (NMTC) on independence. The military institution trains the officer corps of the Nigerian Army, Navy, and Air Force. The initial class was only 62 cadets, and trainers were mostly officers in the Indian Army. The NDA grew to an all Nigerian training staff only in 1978.
In 1981 itself began bilateral training of foreign militaries. In 1985 the academy commenced offering undergraduate programs to Military Officers In Training and now also currently offers post-graduate studies both for Msc and Ph.D. for both military and civilian students alike. The central mission remains the training of young officer cadets in the 5 years (4years Navy and Air force) “Regular Combatant Course” in which cadets are groomed in Military, Academic and Character development to instill discipline and leadership skills according to global best practices, culminating in the award of a bachelor’s degree and presidential commissioning into the rank of second lieutenant for Army cadets or equivalent in the Navy and Air Force for respective cadets. Until 2011 this course used to be exclusively for males, the first set of female cadets commenced training in September 2011. As of 2019, its total cadet class is around 2500.
The current Commandant is Major General Sarham Jamilu.
About NDA Academic Activities
- In the Compulsory Course, cadets study English, Foreign Languages (Arabic, Chinese, French or Russian), Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, Computer Science, History, Political Science, Economics and Geography. Note that all cadets must take basic classes in all these subjects except Foreign Languages. Cadets then take advanced classes depending on their chosen stream.
- The Foundation Course is mandatory and comprises Military Studies and General Studies. Subjects such as Military History, Military Geography, Weapons systems and Armaments, etc. are covered in Military Studies. Subjects such as Geopolitics, Human Rights, Laws of Armed Conflict and Environmental Sciencesare covered in General Studies.
- The Optional Course focuses on subjects specific to the cadet’s chosen Service.
Training in NDA | NDA Training Pattern
Vision Statement of NDA
Mission Statement of NDA
Nigerian Defence Academy (NDA) Commandants
Below is the chronological list of NDA Commandants:
- Brigadier M.R. Varma 1964–1969 (Indian national and 1st Commandant of the NDA)
- Major General David Ejoor 1969–1971 (1st Nigerian Commandant)
- Major General Adeyinka Adebayo 1971
- Major General E.O. Ekpo March 1971 – February 1975
- Brigadier Illiya Bisalla February 1975 – August 1975
- Brigadier Gibson Jalo August 1975 – January 1978
- Brigadier E.S. Armah January 1978 – July 1978
- Brigadier Joseph Garba July 1978 – July 1979
- Brigadier Zamani Lekwot July 1979 – 1982
- Brigadier Abdullahi Shelleng 1982–
- Major General Paul Tarfa 1984–1985
- Major General Peter Adomokai 1986 – 1988
- Lieutenant General Salihu Ibrahim 1988–1990
- Lieutenant General Garba Duba 1990–1992
- Lieutenant General Aliyu Mohammed Gusau 1992–1993
- Lieutenant General Mohammed Balarabe Haladu 1993 – 1994
- Air Vice Marshal Al-Amin Daggash 1994 – 1998
- Major General Bashir Salihi Magashi 1998–1999
- Major General Okon Edet Okon (2002-2003)
- Major General Harris Dzarma (2006–2008)
- Major General Mamuda Yerima (2008–2010)
- Major General Emeka Onwuamaegbu 2010–2013
- Major General Muhammad Inuwa Idris December 2013 – August 2015
- Major General M.T. Ibrahim August 2015– October 2017
- Major General A. Oyebade October 2017- till date
Nigerian Defence Academy (NDA) Official Website
Here is NDA Official Website ==>> http://www.nda.edu.ng/
Nigerian Defence Academy (NDA) Location
Afaka, Kaduna, Nigeria
Motto: Loyalty and valour
Type: Military academy
Doctoral students Ph.D
Location Afaka, Kaduna, Nigeria
Do have any questions to ask concerning this post?, if yes then comment Box is now open for questions and we hope you boldly tell someone the full History of Nigerian Defence Academy | NDA History.